Peatlands of Wales Thickness
The Peatlands of Wales map series provides an updated distribution of Welsh Peatlands (to 2022) based on current evidence sources. The data layers were created on a 50m grid whereby the presence and thickness of peat are elucidated from a range of sources for each 50m grid cell across Wales. A peatland evidence score defines the level of confidence in the presence of peat in any given grid cell, with those cells scoring more than 2 on this scale of 1-10, captured in the ‘Peatlands of Wales’ peat distribution map.
This dataset shows the estimated depth of peat across the Peatlands of Wales area as peat thickness. It also shows, as measured thickness, where the peat thickness is taken from measured values (averaged over the 50m cell) which covers nearly 10% of the cells in the Peatland of Wales area.
Full details of the sources of data used to build this map as well as the methodologies used to define the level of evidence for the presence of peat and derivation of the peat evidence score as well as estimates of peat thickness (depth), carbon stock estimates and greenhouse gas emissions are presented in the Peatlands of Wales mapping methodology report.
Use this data in another application
Please refer to the licence to understand the conditions of using this data.
Maps using this data (1)
Groups using this data (0)
- Spatial data
- Publication date:
- 04 April 2022
- Open Government Licence for Public Sector Information (OGL)
- mawn, organic matter, peat, pridd, soil
- Point of contact:
- <p>© Crown copyright. Mapping derived from soils data © Cranfield University (NSRI) and for the Controller of HMSO 2022 © Crown copyright 2022. Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2022. Contains Natural Resources Wales information © Natural Resources Wales and Database Right. Contains data from BGS © UKRI. All rights Reserved. </p>
<p>Provides an estimate of the thickness of peat likely across the peatlands of wales extent.</p>
- Data Quality
- <p>Full details of the sources of data used to build this map as well as the methodologies used to define the level of evidence for the presence of peat and derivation of the peat evidence score as well as estimates of peat thickness (depth), carbon stock estimates and greenhouse gas emissions are presented in the <a href="https://gov.wales/soils-policy-evidence-programme" target="_blank" rel="noopener">Peatlands of Wales mapping methodology report.</a></p>
- Supplemental Information
<p>Map showing the estimated thickness of peat across each 50m cell, where peat thickness has been directly observed the mean thickness of sampled sites in the…
- Spatial Representation Type
- Vector data is used to represent geographic data