Peatlands of Wales Carbon Stock
The Peatlands of Wales map series provides an updated distribution of Welsh Peatlands (to 2022) based on current evidence sources. The data layers were created on a 50m grid whereby the presence and thickness of peat are elucidated from a range of sources for each 50m grid cell across Wales. A peatland evidence score defines the level of confidence in the presence of peat in any given grid cell, with those cells scoring more than 2 on this scale of 1-10, captured in the ‘Peatlands of Wales’ peat distribution map.
This dataset shows the carbon stock levels across the Peatlands of Wales area. All deep peats are assigned to one of 6 peat soil series. Carbon stocks are calculated from standardised profiles from the Cranfield University HORIZON datasets. The mean carbon stock levels (tonnes) within each cell was then calculated from the carbon stock to 150cm in kg/m2 from the standard profile data adjusted by the thickness of peat in the profile and then multiplied by the area in m2. This map shows the carbon stock per unit area plus the total carbon stock in each polygon.
Full details of the sources of data used to build this map as well as the methodologies used to define the level of evidence for the presence of peat and derivation of the peat evidence score as well as estimates of peat thickness (depth), carbon stock estimates and greenhouse gas emissions are presented in the Peatlands of Wales mapping methodology report.
Use this data in another application
Please refer to the license to understand the conditions of using this data.
Maps using this data (1)
Peatlands of Wales Maps
The Peatlands of Wales map series provides an updated distribution of Welsh Peatlands (to 2022) based …
- Spatial data
- Publication date:
- 04 April 2022
- Open Government Licence for Public Sector Information (OGL)
- deunydd organig, mawn, organic matter, peat, pridd, soil
- Point of contact:
- <p>© Crown copyright. Mapping derived from soils data © Cranfield University (NSRI) and for the Controller of HMSO 2022 © Crown copyright 2022. Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2022. Contains Natural Resources Wales information © Natural Resources Wales and Database Right. Contains data from BGS © UKRI. All rights Reserved. </p>
<p>For effective targeting and monitoring of peatland restoration, a baseline of the peatland area is required. The Peatland of Wales map represents a…
- Data Quality
- <p>Full details of the sources of data used to build this map as well as the methodologies used to define the level of evidence for the presence of peat and derivation of the peat evidence score as well as estimates of peat thickness (depth), carbon stock estimates and greenhouse gas emissions are presented in the <a href="https://gov.wales/soils-policy-evidence-programme" target="_blank" rel="noopener">Peatlands of Wales mapping methodology report.</a></p>
- Supplemental Information
<p>The carbon stock was reported in kg/m2, to calculate the total stock within the Peatland of Wales area this was multiplied by the area of the cell in m2 and…
- Spatial Representation Type
- Vector data is used to represent geographic data